Sunday, 30 May 2010

Kelvingrove Park

Kelvingrove Park, flanked by Woodlands, Park, and the river Kelvin, is in Glasgow's West End (see Hillhead and West End). There is an excellent local community group, the Friends of Kelvingrove Park, and the Wiki article is very good. See

See also Kelvingrove Art Gallery and Museum and Mela
The Stewart Memorial Fountain, erected in 1872 to commemorate Lord Provost Robert Stewart of Murdostoun (1811-66), one of the prime movers behind the supply of Loch Katrine water to Glasgow - one of Scotland's forgotten heroes.

The Kelvingrove Bandstand, shamefully neglected and left to fall into disrepair by successive Glasgow councils. At one point there was a council scheme to sell this off to be developed as yet another outlet for alcohol -just the thing Glasgow needs - but the Friends (see above) successfully fought them off. There is a Facebook campaign to develop the space, the Amphitheatre Restoration Committee. See

Moorhen and chick by the pond

Feeding blue tit

Feeding squirrel

Lord Kelvin with a so-witty cone on his head (compare the Donald Dewar statue at Buchanan St)

No comments:

Post a Comment