Tuesday 23 March 2010

Charles Rennie Mackintosh

There are so many excellent Rennie Mackintosh sites that it seems presumptuous to add my own daft wee photos and comments to the stuff that's out there. What I'll do on this photoblog is add a few bits and pieces from time to time. See Garnethill and these sites -




Maryhill Ruchill Parish Church. This is very much a rooted, working church that does great work in the community. For much better pics of the church than I can provide, see http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ruchill_Church_Hall and the excellent parishwebsite www.ruchillparish.org.uk





The impressive doors of the Art School


This pic is a repeat of the one at Garnethill - but I do like it




This pic is also at Garnethill and is a favourite. Oh,


Often I think of the beautiful town
  That is seated by the sea;
Often in thought go up and down
The pleasant streets of that dear old town,
  And my youth comes back to me.
    And a verse of a Lapland song
    Is haunting  my memory still:
  "A boy's will is the wind's will,
And the thoughts of youth are long, long thoughts." 
(Longfellow, 'My Lost Youth')



One shivers slightly, looking up there. 
The hardness and the brightness and the plain 
Far-reaching singleness of that wide stare 

Is a reminder of the strength and pain 
Of being young; that it can't come again, 
But is for others undiminished somewhere. 
(Larkin, 'Sad Steps')


St Mungo's RC church, Parsons St, Townhead (where Macintosh was born and I was bred) ; the school on  the right is designed by him











No comments:

Post a Comment